Now seeking virtual poster abstract submissions for the 2022 Annual Meeting of the American Association of Geographers that will take place in a hybrid format from Friday February 25, 2022 to Tuesday March 1, 2022.
The focus of the session is “From Sea to City: Navigating (Extra)ordinary Landscapes of Nature, Labor, and Culture.” While we welcome any work across the depth and breadth of cultural geography and landscape studies, those whose work intersects with the meeting’s themes (https://www2.aag.org/aag-2022-nyc-themes/) of Climate Justice, Geographies of Access: Inclusions and Pathways, Ethnonationalism and Exclusion around the World, the Changing North American Continent, and Expanding the Community of Geography are particularly welcome. This session is sponsored by the Cultural Geography Specialty Group, Landscape Specialty Group, and the Study of the American South Specialty Group.
Additional topics at the cultural geographies-landscape studies nexus may include:
• Contested spaces and places
• Cultural ecology
• Cultural landscapes and ecosystem services
• Adapting and modifying landscapes and lived experiences due to COVID-19
• Habitat and ecosystem services
• Landscapes of labor, work and the workforce
• Impacts of human modifications to environmental systems
• Socioecological systems
• Material culture and place
• The role of landscape in decolonizing and land control
• Heritage and cultural histories of particular landscapes
• Landscape identities and representations
• Creative methodologies involving cultural landscapes
• Landscapes of the arts, including visual arts, theatre, film, television, music, and dance
• Spectral geographies and haunting
We welcome all interested submissions, and hope to be a supportive home for scholars, students in particular, to have a rewarding and engaging conference experience given its unique delivery and current circumstances. If we believe a submission is better suited for a different organized poster session, we will be sure to communicate that with you and connect you to that particular session’s organizers.
Posters will follow the same design principles of an in-person conference. Abstracts of less than 250 words are due to the meeting submission portal (https://aag-annualmeeting.secure-platform.com/a/) by Thursday January 6, 2022. You must be a registered AAG member and registered for the annual meeting to submit an abstract.** Posters will be uploaded prior to the conference and can remain published through the conference website for as long as the presenter would like. The poster session will take place virtually via Zoom. Each poster presenter will have their own breakout room in which they can engage with a free-flowing audience to participate in the traditional browsing and questions/answers. This session will not be recorded at the discretion of the session organizers.
After registering for the meeting and submitting your abstract, please send your PIN and poster abstract to Josh Merced at email@example.com for inclusion in this virtual poster session by Friday January 7, 2022. Please reach out to him with any questions you may have about the session.
**Resources available to alleviate registration costs (Thank you to the American Association of Geographer for providing these opportunities for vulnerable individuals such as students to be active participants in the organization and the annual meeting):
• AAG Enrichment Fund (for meeting registration costs assistance) – AAG is pleased to announce the return of the AAG Enrichment Fund. This year, the fund is enhanced to welcome applications from geographers, non-geographers, and students. The purpose of the fund is to provide financial support to those who would benefit from attending the annual meeting, but would be unable to do so without the financial support. Please see this website for more information – https://www2.aag.org/aag2022nyc. Priority deadline is November 4, 2021. Submit application here: https://geographers.wufoo.com/forms/zj1f8cx0hwc13p/.
• One-Year Fee Waiver (for AAG membership fee assistance) – As part of the AAG COVID response effort, they invite current members to apply for a one-year fee waiver if they belong to any one of these membership categories:
- Undergraduate Students
- Graduate Students and Postdocs
- Members with income at or under $75,000/year
- Members of one of the AAG Developing Regions
Please complete this form as soon as possible before registering for the annual meeting – https://geographers.wufoo.com/forms/z1277ycj1dii06a/.
• Graduate Student Affinity Group Research and Support Award (for assistance with any related costs) – GSAG is a professional organization committed to representing graduate students within the American Association of Geographers, and to supporting their advancement in the field of Geography. Awards will be made in the amount of $250 USD, and applications will be received by the GSAG Awards Committee. This award is intended to support graduate students in their research, and your graduate student experience (whether field, university or home-based). We encourage all graduate students, Masters and Ph.D., to apply. For more information, visit this website (https://gsagaag.org/gsag-award/). Submit application by December 1, 2021 (Link to application: https://tinyurl.com/GSAGAaward)