This spring, we will have a few vacancies to be filled for the board position on the Cultural Geography Specialty Group. The positions (each two-year terms) are:
- CGSG Program Director
- CGSG Nominations Director
- Two CGSG Graduate Student Representatives
If you wish to nominate yourself or a qualified individual for these vacancies, please notify me at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before February 9, 2022. Please make sure that your nominee is willing to serve if appointed. Include contact information for your nominee as well as a brief paragraph describing their suitability for the position. Elections will occur online February 10th-24th, and results will be publicly announced at the annual CGSG Business Meeting on February 25th. All CGSG members are eligible to vote and serve in any position. We ask that only graduate students be nominated for the graduate representative positions, but graduate students may also serve in any other board position.
Following previous discussions of the CGSG Board and broader membership, we would particularly encourage nominations and self-nominations from BIPOC or other underrepresented members, as well as from more senior faculty members.
I would like to express sincere gratitude to our current board members. Your work during this very challenging time is much appreciated.
I look forward to seeing many of you during AAG!
Description of positions that need to be filled:
- The Program Director will be responsible for organizing, arranging, or sponsoring (or co-sponsoring with other specialty groups) cultural geography sessions at the annual meetings of the AAG. Also, the Chair of the Program Committee, in conjunction with the Executive Committee, will determine the speaker, the speaker’s honorarium amount, and convene the annual CGSG Marquee Presentation at the annual AAG meeting.
- The Nominations Director will conduct the annual election of officers of the CGSG Executive Committee following the procedures described in the CGSG Bylaws.
- The Graduate Student Representative(s) will be responsible for engaging student participation in the specialty group, managing the group’s social media (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram), and, based on sufficient interest, organize and chair at least one student-only paper session at the annual AAG meeting and help to meet the needs of the students presenting papers or engaging in research. Additionally, the Student Directors will, at their discretion and availability, encourage paper sessions at regional meetings under the auspices of the CGSG. Traditionally, Grad Student Representatives have hosted a CGSG Breakfast paid for by the CGSG. In addition, Graduate Student Representatives will organize a Photo Exhibition and competition where the winning photo(s) will undergo review for publication. All AAG Meeting attendees are invited to these events.